Experienced Colorado Assault & Battery Charge Defense Lawyer
Serving Western Colorado Including These Areas: Aspen, Avon, Breckenridge, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Montrose, and The Vail Valley.
Assault charges typically occur because a verbal argument escalates into a physical altercation. Whether a random tussle in the street, a bar fight or an incident of domestic violence, assault and battery charges are serious, and they require a serious response. It is important that you hire an attorney early on in your ordeal so your rights are adequately protected from overzealous prosecutors and police.
I am Mark S. Rubinstein, and I am here to represent you and defend your rights. Contact my law firm online or call 940-704-0888 or toll-free at 1-855-704-0888 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Assault and Battery Crimes
There are important legal differences between assault and battery. These crimes are also charged under different levels of criminal offense, depending on the severity of the crime. I have been defending clients in criminal court for more than 20 years, and I know the importance of understanding the law.
Assault and Battery in Colorado
- Third-degree assault: Any reckless or negligent act that injures another person
- Second-degree assault: Any reckless or negligent act that injures another person and involves the use of a deadly weapon
- First-degree assault: Any act that causes serious injury to another person and that uses a deadly weapon. Acts that seriously injure public servants, such as police officers, also fall under first-degree assault in Colorado.
- Battery charges: These charges often fall under “menacing” offenses, which are threats that put another person in fear of imminent harm. Menacing charges are typically misdemeanors, but they can become felonies when a deadly weapon is involved.
Know the Consequences of an Assault Conviction
If the people involved in an assault offense are in an intimate relationship, charges in the case will be enhanced to domestic violence. This “sentencing enhancer” requires the accused to undergo a domestic violence evaluation and attend classes or psychological treatment as recommended by the evaluation.
Regardless of the severity of the charge, any conviction for assault will result in a permanent criminal record. Conviction on a felony assault charge can be even more serious, with possible mandatory sentencing including jail time. A conviction can also hinder your opportunities for employment, leasing property and even admission into college.
Experienced, Effective CO Assault & Battery Defense Attorney
My number one job as your assault & battery defense lawyer is to defend you against the charges made by your accuser. This process starts the moment you contact me and accept my offer to represent you. First, I will determine if the district attorney has enough evidence to support the charges against you and ultimately obtain a conviction. I will also make sure that the evidence was not gathered illegally and that none of your rights were infringed upon in the process of the investigation.
Many times, the case can be dismissed due to evidentiary defects, or a deal can be struck between the prosecutor and the accused. The decision to take your case before a jury is one we will make together after we have thoroughly analyzed the evidence. If you choose to make a deal, I will make sure you are aware of the long-term consequences of any plea agreement before you accept one.
Additional Practice Areas We Serve
In addition to assault & battery defense, we also offer criminal defense for the following matters:
- DUI / DWI / DWAI (i.e. driving under the influence of alcohol / drunk driving)
- DUID (i.e. driving under the influence of drugs)
- Traffic offenses
- Theft, larceny, grand theft, and burglary
- White-collar crimes, fraud, and embezzlement
- Domestic violence
- Drug possession, distribution, selling, dealing, or drug trafficking
- Internet crimes
- Expungement and sealing of criminal records
Contact a Colorado Assault & Battery Defense Lawyer Today
I serve clients all across Western Colorado. If you or a loved one has been charged with an assault crime, do not hesitate to contact Mark S. Rubinstein, P.C., online or by telephone at 970-704-0888 or 1-855-704-0888 toll-free. I am dedicated to providing my clients with an outstanding customer service experience. That means prompt responses to e-mail and voice messages as well as experienced, effective representation.