Dedicated Colorado DUI Defense Attorney Ready To Help You
Due to the efforts of advocacy organizations, such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), Colorado has clamped down hard on DUI defendants. In fact, some of us believe that the pendulum has swung too far the other way, and that the Colorado criminal justice system is now unfair to DUI defendants.
The reality is that a 180-pound male can be arrested for driving after as few as two beers in an hour, and the amount is even lower for the average female. Once convicted, you can be subjected to a wide variety of penalties including jail time, stiff fines, suspension of your driver’s license, and other penalties. You could also end up with a criminal record that will follow you around like a vicious dog for the rest of your life.
My name is Mark S. Rubinstein, and my job is to fight back against the system on behalf of people just like you. As the sole practitioner of Mark S. Rubinstein, P.C., you are more than the case number that you would be to the average overworked public defender or a busy mega-firm. You are a valued client whose freedom and reputation are just as important as my own.
I have won acquittals for many of my clients, and have plea bargained for lesser charges on behalf of many more. Depending on the circumstances, there may be a good chance that I can keep you out of jail – and nothing is more important than your freedom.
“Arrested for DWAI and not being from Colorado, Mark handled my case professionally and was able to answer my questions and concerns quickly. It goes without saying he is the man I would want in my corner! Appreciate all your assistance and outstanding ability to see this through to its end.” – D.T., January 24, 2013.
- Criminal Defense: I enjoy extensive experience in all types of criminal law, including felonies, misdemeanors, white collar crimes, violent crimes, drug offenses, and domestic violence charges.
- Personal Injury: If a negligent person injures you, you are entitled to much more than reimbursement for your medical expenses. I can help you bring home full compensation.
- Wrongful Death: The death of a loved one is traumatic and gut-wrenching. Although nobody can bring your loved one back, certain eligible relatives are permitted to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence law is heavily weighted against you from the moment you are accused. I can help you fight back against an unfair system.
Most Common Questions We Hear at Rubinstien Law (FAQs)
What are the penalties for DUI in Colorado?
Colorado DUI laws impose escalating penalties, depending on the number of prior offenses. For a first offense, the following penalties can be imposed:
- Five days to one year in jail
- A fine of $600 to $1,000
- Anywhere from 48-96 hours of public service
- An alcohol / drug evaluation and subsequent treatment program
- A driver’s license suspension of nine months
- Other possible penalties
Am I safe to drive as long as my BAC is below .08?
No. You can be convicted of Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI) for a BAC of as low as .05. If you are under 21, you can be convicted for a BAC as low as .02. You can also be convicted of driving under the influence of a combination of alcohol and drugs, even if your BAC is below .08.
What kind of DUI defenses are available to me?
There are many possible defenses, depending on the situation, including:
- The officer had no legal cause to pull you over in the first place
- The officer improperly administered a breathalyzer test
- Your BAC was higher when you were tested than it was when you were driving
What happens if I refuse a breathalyzer test?
If you refuse to take a blood, breath, or urine test, your driver’s license can be suspended for 12 months (first offense), and you may have to install an Ignition Interlock Device for two years after reinstatement. You will also be subject to mandatory alcohol education, and you can still be convicted of DUI.
Retain a Colorado DUI Defense Lawyer Today
Colorado prosecutors are notoriously aggressive, especially when it comes to DUI defendants. As a consequence, attempting to represent yourself is like entering a lion’s den carrying nothing but a slingshot. You need an experienced fighter on your side. I have been representing DUI defendants for nearly 25 years, and there isn’t much that I haven’t seen before. I am familiar with the local legal systems of Western Colorado, and I know most of the prosecutors. You can contact me, a Colorado DUI defense attorney anytime to discuss your case – I will even give you my personal cell phone number for that purpose.
If you have been arrested for driving under the influence in Carbondale, Glenwood Springs, Avon, Aspen, Breckenridge, Montrose, The Vail Valley, Gunnison, or Grand Junction – or if you live or work there – call me today at (970) 704-0888 or contact me online for a free initial evaluation of your case.