Personal Injury and Criminal Defense Attorney Serving the Gunnison, Colorado Area

Gunnison is my kind of place.  I know it intimately, having graduated from Western (State) Colorado University in 1984.  There is never any shortage of things to do – skiing in the winter and fishing in the Blue Mesa Reservoir or the Gunnison River are two of my favorite activities. Nevertheless, Gunnison’s relaxing atmosphere and small-town hospitality would make the town worth frequent visits even if it didn’t offer spectacular outdoor attractions.

There’s nothing relaxing about legal problems, however. Whether you have been injured by someone else’s carelessness or arrested for a crime, you have a lot at stake, and it’s not a good idea to try to “go it alone.” My name is Mark S. Rubinstein, and my mission is to protect people just like you. As a sole practitioner, I can focus intensely on my clients’ cases without distraction. At Mark S. Rubinstein, P.C., you are more than just a case number – you are a valued client whose interests are worth fighting for.

Practice Areas

As a sole practitioner, I don’t practice “buffet-style” law – instead, I concentrate on the areas where my experience and expertise are most needed. Following are the areas of law that I focus on:

  • Criminal defense: Including drug offenses, white collar crimes, domestic violence, assault and battery, theft, shoplifting, sex offenses, traffic offenses, and violent crimes.
  • DUI defense: Including Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI) and Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (DUID).
  • Personal injury: Including defective products, premises liability, construction accidents, insurance claims, and wrongful death.
  • Motor vehicle accidents: Including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, truck accidents, bicycle accidents, and boating accidents.
  • Wrongful death: Any personal injury case – including vehicle accidents – in which the victim dies.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can I afford to press a personal injury claim?

It is likely that you can, even if you think you can’t. If I take your case, I will defer all attorney’s fees. This means that you will owe me nothing in attorney’s fees unless I win your case, and any amount that you end up paying will be proportionate to the amount you receive as a verdict or settlement.

Can I win a car accident claim even if the accident was partly my fault?

It depends on your degree of fault. Under Colorado’s comparative fault principles, you can recover damages even for an accident that was partly your fault, as long as you were less than 50 percent at fault. If you were less than 50 percent at fault, a court will subtract from your recovery an amount equivalent to your percentage of fault. If you were 25 percent at fault, for example, the court will subtract 25 percent and award you the remaining 75 percent of your damages. If you were 51 percent or more at fault, however, you will recover nothing.

If I am pulled over for DUI, do I have the right to refuse a breathalyzer test?

Yes, you do under most circumstances, but there will be negative consequences if you do – even if you are eventually acquitted of DUI. If you refuse to take a breathalyzer test, your driver’s license will be suspended for 12 months (for a first offense), longer than it would be suspended for a first offense DUI. Additionally, it is still possible for you to be convicted of DUI even without a breathalyzer test – in fact, the prosecution can use your refusal against you, by asserting that you refused the breathalyzer because you knew that you were intoxicated.

Should I settle my personal injury or vehicle accident case, or should I go to court?

The answer to that question depends on a lot of factors, including how stubborn the opposing party turns out to be. The good news is that in my 24 years of experience, I have worked with insurance companies as a defense lawyer. Consequently, I know their strategies inside and out and I can use this knowledge to help you obtain a generous settlement or, if necessary, win your case in court.

Take Decisive Action

After nearly 25 years of experience in the Colorado legal system, there isn’t much that can happen that I haven’t handled before. If you have been injured in an accident or arrested for a crime in Gunnison, or if you live or work there and your legal problems arose somewhere else, call me as soon as possible at (970) 641-3550, or contact me online. Either way, I will be happy to schedule a free initial evaluation of your case.

I will be more than willing to meet you in Gunnison if you so require. Once I become your advocate, you can contact me anytime with questions or comments about your case – in fact, I will give you my personal cell phone number to make this as convenient as possible for you.

Gunnison Office

125 W. Virginia Ave., #199
Gunnison, CO 81230
Phone: 970-641-3550
Fax: 970-680-7139

Gunnison Law Office Map